Relentless provide chain challenges proceed at Ford Motor Co., the Dearborn, Michigan, automaker that’s launching main automobiles this 12 months throughout a world pandemic and components shortage.
The firm has introduced extra factory adjustments to accommodate the dearth of semiconductor chips wanted to function all the things from driving security options and cameras to infotainment techniques.
Ford has the brand new Ford F-150 pickup, Mustang Mach-E, Bronco Sport and Bronco, and the corporate is underneath super strain to fill orders as dealers clamor for the vehicles and SUVs.
John Savona, Ford vp of producing and labor affairs, launched a memo to all manufacturing staff on Wednesday that stated challenges within the firm’s North American vegetation proceed:
- Chicago Assembly Plant, Flat Rock Assembly Plant, Kansas City Assembly Plant F-150 and Transit strains, and Michigan Assembly Plant in Wayne will probably be down the weeks of May 17 and May 24. In each case besides Michigan Assembly, this can be a continuation of beforehand introduced downtime.
- Ohio Assembly Plant in Avon Lake will proceed to provide solely Super Duty Chassis cabs and Medium Duty vehicles by means of the week of May 17 and be absolutely down the week of May 24.
- Kansas City Assembly Plant Transit Line will function on one shift the weeks of May 31 and June 7 to finish early builds of the E-Transit.
- Hermosillo Assembly Plant in Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico is down by means of the week of May 10.
- Kentucky Truck Plant in Louisville will probably be down the weeks of June 7 and June 14 to make plant modifications to organize for the upcoming launch of the next-generation Super Duty.
- Individual powertrain and stamping vegetation will present specifics round their working patterns as they’re confirmed.
“Thank you for your continued flexibility and commitment to building high-quality vehicles for our customers and dealers, — and stay safe,” Savona wrote.
Kelli Felker, Ford international manufacturing and labor communications supervisor, instantly texted the Free Press, “Important to note that Bronco remains on track to go on sale this summer.”
The highly-anticipated Bronco is returning for the primary time in 24 years.
Manufacturers, together with Ford, have been rationing their semiconductor chips for what they take into account the best precedence automobiles. In the case of Ford, the corporate should select between gold bricks as hundreds of high-profit F-Series vehicles are parked in Sparta, Kentucky whereas hundreds extra are parked in lots around metro Detroit and not far from Kansas City Assembly in Claycomo, Missouri.
Ford has stated the scenario is expected to dramatically affect production in April, May and June, which depressed its inventory value final week.
Pat Gelsinger, the brand new CEO of Intel Corp., advised Bloomberg on Sunday upfront of a “60 Minutes” interview airing that the semiconductor disaster doubtless will not be resolved for a couple of extra years.