“Not Realistic”: Sebastian Vettel Warns Against Back-To-Back F1 Races


However, Ferrari star Vettel fears such a transfer may result in burnout for crew workers.

“We drivers are a little privileged,” Vettel informed reporters by teleconference from his dwelling in Switzerland.

“Of course, the races are tiring but there have to be limits for the staff. They must rest.

“We should additionally see whether it is straightforward to reschedule races, if the circuits usually are not already taken. Many questions stay. I feel the schedule will probably be busier, however 10 consecutive weekends is just not practical.”

Vettel suggested that he would favour staging races without fans if it allowed a quick resumption as long as it did not become a common feature.

Other sports have already toyed with the idea of staging events behind closed doors.

‘It’s complicated’

For example, the US PGA Tour on Thursday announced plans to resume in June, with the first four tournaments being closed to spectators.

“It’s sophisticated,” admitted Vettel.

“On the one hand, there may be the well being of the game, on the opposite, that of the individuals who work within the paddock and particularly the followers.

“There are several options. No one likes to run in front of empty stands, but we will have to see if it will not allow us to resume much sooner.

“The first races will most likely be just a little completely different, however not an excessive amount of, I hope, as a result of we wish to run in entrance of the followers.”

Vettel insists that for him even a 10-race season is just as valuable as a 22-race campaign.

However, he admits that the damage to the sport caused by the coronavirus pandemic could be fatal for the smaller teams on the grid.

Without racing, the massive TV and sponsorship revenues have dried up.

Half of the teams have already started furloughing staff.

Teams have agreed to lower the spending cap from $175 million (161.4 million euros) to $150 million.

“Clearly, some small groups are at risk and, as a household, F1 has to handle its personal,” said Vettel.

Speculation

Spending has not been the only talk in the sport.

There has also been speculation over Vettel’s contract with Ferrari.

He penned a three-year deal with the Italian giants in 2017, reportedly worth around $112 million.

There have been talks over an extension. However, those conversations took a twist after Vettel finished the 2019 championship behind new teammate Charles Leclerc.

“At the start (of the coronavirus disaster), the precedence was to handle the scenario in the easiest way and due to this fact the negotiations had been placed on maintain,” said Vettel.

“I feel we’re going to transfer ahead however we wouldn’t have a particular deadline.”

Whatever the outcome of the discussions, Vettel said he won’t be revealing if he has been tempted to take a salary reduction.

Two weeks ago, McLaren drivers Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris said they had taken voluntary pay cuts as part of a raft of cost-cutting measures to help their team.

“Whatever occurs, we’ll hold this determination to ourselves, as I’ve all the time achieved.

“I’m not going to use this to polish my image.”



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *